Sunday, April 25, 2010

Our little sweet potato continues to bake...

18 weeks along, 4 1/2 months, and we are still going strong!! I cannot believe in two weeks we will be half way there. This is flying by. Although, sometimes when I am feeling crappy I wish it would go by quicker. We are still in shock that we are actually having a baby. A lot of our friends, discovered via FB, are expecting too! This makes it a bit easier. It makes you contemplate your life a bit too. This week I will turn 31 and I have been doing a bit of life contemplation. Having kids seems to kind of close that "college life" door. It opens a new and exciting one for sure but the hallway seems a little shorter. I know it is morbid to express some death anxiety at this point but the potential of having kids puts it into perspective. Pretty soon they will be graduating high school, getting married, and having their own kids. You think about all of these things and if being pregnant wasn't overwhelming enough that adds to it. This weekly blog will not be a downer though, so let's move on.

Let's talk about pregnancy dreams. It is said, by various websites of course, that pregnant women have bizarre dreams. Two stand out for me. The first was frightening. Horrifying really. I actually woke up scared and worried! I was pregnant but instead of carrying the baby in my belly I carried it in my hands - fetus in one hand and placenta in the other. It was such a vivid dream. Well, I fell. I tripped on something and smooshed the baby. It was a nightmare!! The other wasn't so traumatizing. I was going to pick the baby up for bathtime from its crib and I it turned its head toward me and it was a fully grown pig. With an enormous snout and everything. These dreams are crazy! Early on in pregnancy I dreamt that I was like some sort of commando with a rifle and everything shooting anyone or anything that threatened me, my baby, or Robbie. I liked those better. These are getting bizarre. It could be I have been hooked on the sci fi channel lately and some of that is spilling over. Who knows!!

So, we definitely have baby movement. It is still pretty sporadic. More fluttering than anything else but we have had a couple of kicks and those are surprising. I am looking forward to when they are more regular and Robbie can feel them. I get a little worried because the movement is so sporadic - if he/she is faced inward I won't feel much for up to a day. Sometimes if I lean forward when I pee I can get the baby to flip back toward the front. I have only successfully maneuvered this once by accident and I don't have the guts to really try again. I feel like it is dangerous or something. At least probably irritating. I am just going to be patient and allow nature to take its course. It seems to have been working out so far.

In two weeks we will finally be able to see the little bugger! We are so excited to know that it is all right - two arms, two legs, etc. I am also eager to know the gender so I don't keep calling it a he if it is a she. People keep asking me, "what do you think it is?" I don't know. I thought for the longest time it was a boy for sure and now I kinda think maybe it is a girl. It really doesn't matter I just want to call it by its name!

This week we purchased our first packs of diapers. I have decided to gradually stock up over time. I thought it was a little soon but they were on a superb deal and I had coupons for 7.50 off! Plus, we received a $5 gift card for the purchase. We couldn't pass it up. I have been on a coupon kick lately and sometimes it really pays off!

Okay here is a promise pictures posted today. Apparently we have lost the camera...again. This is Robbie's task so if no pictures are posted - he takes full blame!

2 comments:

  1. Getting caught up on the cuteness and horrors of your pregnancy is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to come back and read your blog to see when you started to feel kicks. I am 19 weeks, 2 days now and still not completely sure I have had any kicks (though, I'm thinking it is possible). I'm hoping I know for sure soon because I'm beginning to lose my mind!!

    ReplyDelete