Sunday, April 11, 2010

Our Amazing Avocado

I'm really running out of catchy titles for these things! This week it is about the size of an avocado. I tried to think of something funny having to do with guacamole, but then I thought I really don't want to think of my avocado all mashed up. It's hard to be creative! Next week we are looking at a turnip so send me some suggestions people or we are going to have something like "totally turnippy"!!

We are 16 weeks along today! 4 months! That is 5 months away from welcoming our baby into the world. I am stressed a bit about accumulating all the stuff we need before the baby gets here. We did start a registry to help us organize all the stuff we think we need (and some cute stuff that we don't). That sort of makes things worse. I don't know where we will put all this stuff. Robbie brought up a good point. He thinks that once you have kids they basically take over the whole house. He is right, as usual. I have seen pictures of my friend's homes that have young children and there is baby stuff everywhere!! That amount of clutter makes me stressed and I just watched that show Horders on TLC so I am worried our home will look like that and we will need an intervention!

We have started to slowly accumulate stuff, as mentioned before. We actually found a seriously crazy deal on baby bedding. We found a complete, basic, bedding set for $45 - this was more than 1/2 off the original price. I checked my Baby Bargains bible and the brand was rated a A!! We bought it. It is a little boy oriented - more blue than most girl rooms would have but hey it was on sale and if we have a girl I will throw some pink sheets on there or something. We may take a trip out to Babies R Us today to pick up a couple of things too. Once you sign up for the Rewards program you get coupons in the mail and I think I am going to cash in on a couple of those today to get some other necessities. Right now we are just dumping all our baby purchases in the baby room. I think I will feel better once we can get the room a little more together.

So, on to important stuff! We had our 4 week check-up and everything is going well. Baby's HB is strong - a little slower in the 150's this time. This is causing my mom to believe it is a girl. Early in the pregnancy I had a strong feeling it was a boy. That has kind of gone away and I am just not sure. I did watch another show on TLC and I am just hoping he or she has two arms and two legs and two feet and two hands and all the appropriate digits and other anatomy stuff needed. We did do the AFP/triple screen test which shows whether or not the baby could have down's syndrome or a neural tube defect. I have read this test can have a lot of false positives so that is worrisome but we are hoping for the best and will love this baby no matter what. We did not leave that appointment with an US scheduled...BUT...they called the next day!!! We will find out if we are having a "normal" boy or girl on May 11th!! I actually was able to get that day off work so I am super excited. Again, I cannot believe how fast this is going!

The issue of this week seems to be weight gain. I have put on about 10lbs and I am extremely irritated by this. Many of you know that I have recently "won the battle of the bulge" so to speak and lost a lot weight that I had been carrying for quite some time. It seems that is creeping back on again. Robbie tries to reassure me that it isn't because I am fat it's because I'm pregnant blah blah blah. I don't buy it for some reason. Once you have been 200+ pounds the thought that you will be there again is frightening. It is hard too because running isn't going to be in my cards for the next 5-6 months. I tried and my heart rate was way too high and I was way too short of breath. I am trying to walk and do my yoga but I don't find prenatal yoga all that challenging and I am still battling issues of fatigue after work. I am all excuses it seems...doesn't it. I am working on it. Trying to make good food choices and trying to work out regularly. It is still pretty frustrating to see and know the number on the scale will continue to rise.

One thing that was fun this week is we got a webcam. No not to make home videos and submit them to YouTube. But to video chat with family. We were able to talk briefly with my mom using a FREE program called Scype! I am hoping we can do that pretty regularly through the pregnancy and after so family can stay in touch with us and the baby. Anyone else familiar with this program let me know and we can video chat sometime!! It's pretty neat!

Alright, it's about 2am and I think I am ready to try to go back to sleep. I tend to wake up about about midnight or 3am and stay up for a couple of hours before falling back to sleep these days - it's wonderful. So, today we will post some new belly pics and we will take some new pics of anything else baby related we can think of! BTW did you know that blogspot will turn your blog into a book for you??? I can't wait for this to be a keepsake for our family at the end of this pregnancy journey!

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure you will get lots of unwanted advice, so here is some more:) -- don't worry too much about getting a lot of baby stuff. Other than the car seat, crib, and stroller a lot of things can wait. We didn't even buy a changing table/dresser until she was 8 months and I found one I liked at the consignment shop. Plus, you never know a baby's taste. For example mine hated the swing--thankfully we had loaner from a friend so it wasn't a big deal,but I surely would have felt bad if I had spent a lot of money on one. I'd see if any friends have items you could borrow, or at least buy "gently used".

    ReplyDelete
  2. good ideas Eugenia! I am going to try and just get the basics and then if a need pops up for something else just run out and get it then. Otherwise I could really be shelling out a lot of money for no reason!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dena! Don't worry about the weight... it's just a number and you look BEAUTIFUL! Get big and round so that baby has lots of room to do flips.

    Also... it's "sKype"... and I'll totally skype with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brennan! Yeah we will add you as a friend. I think we should have a webcam dance party??! That would be hilarious!

    ReplyDelete