Tuesday, February 16, 2010

8 Weeks

Alright, so we made it to 8 weeks. I don't know why this is reassuring. For some reason I have psychologically convinced myself that 8 weeks is a major milestone during this pregnancy. I do this frequently with random things. No matter what I feel better about getting to week 8!

The biggest issue I seem to be experiencing is SEVERE fatigue. I get so exhausted so easily. We did have family visiting this week and the walking everyday really took its toll. The down side is that walking is good for you. I think if I could walk for 30 minutes take a 30 minute nap walk for 30 minutes take a nap...I would have been just fine. Unfortunately, taking so many naps doesn't really lend itself to being very social or productive!!

This week, only because my mother was visiting I assure you, we entered into uncharted territory...Babies R Us. Let me tell you a few things I find wrong with the layout of this store. 1.) The bathrooms are located in the far back corner of the store. Okay people, pregnant women are coming into this store and chances are we have to pee. Having to walk all the way to the back of the store to pee was irritating. 2.) I feel like if it was sectioned off into rooms - similar to the way Ikea is laid out - it would have been easier to take in. You walk in and immediately feel overwhelmed with magnitude of stuff that can, and possibly should, be purchased. 3.) There isn't really anyone available to assist you in wading through all the crap to find the safest, best, most economical crib, bassinet, stroller, carrier, playard, jumper, etc... You basically have to do a crap load of research before you enter into those places and know exactly what you are looking for. Oh, and everything has its own design and color scheme. I guess all that stuff has to match right??? I found myself frustrated with being able to get the playard and swing in one color scheme but the car seat in another - then I woke up and realized kids never match anyway! 4.)This stuff is so overpriced. Did you know that you can buy an infant car seat just to turn around (20lbs) later to buy another one?? Both of which are, of course, over $100. This is going to be bad.

There were some good things about that visit. Nana (my mom) was able to buy the baby its very first toy - a musical giraffe! It is so cute and the song is so sweet - I cried when I first saw it (nothing new though I cry at everything and anything these days). We did also purchase a playard with an attached bassinet and a swing. I felt it was a little premature to buy that stuff but who knows when Nana will be here again and she wanted to get us started - we are very appreciative. We also found some pregnant woman tea and lozenges that help with morning sickness!! Best find of the day.

After the Babies R Us extravaganza we ventured into the world of maternity clothes. I'm not really showing but you do get bloated and buttoning my jeans is getting a little uncomfortable. It was really a hilarious experience because some of the stores have fake bumps you can wrap around your belly for planning ahead. It gave me a glimpse of my future and it wasn't pretty. I think if my belly actually gets that big I will tip over. We did find some things on sale and I learned that specialty maternity stores have some pretty cute things...at not so cute prices! I hope Ross and Marshalls carry maternity clothes I refuse to pay full price for my clothes now and you better believe I won't pay $30 for shirt!!

So, this post seems to be all about money right. Well, I think I am just a little shocked at the sticker price of some of this junk...I mean stuff. Robbie is very level headed and suggested each month we buy a few things and by the end we will have everything we need without noticing the price tag. Let's hope that works!

To finish this off let's do a symptom check list: sore boobs (but bigger :)) CHECK, intermittent nausea with vomiting CHECK, fatigue CHECK, weight gain (3-4lbs) CHECK, food cravings - not really, more food aversions I would say, emotional fluctuations CHECK. It seems we are moving right along!

I will post an update at our next MD appointment - 2nd week in March!!

7 comments:

  1. Handsome Rob is right- buy a little at a time and you'll be okay. This is also what baby showers are for dude. I'll be sure to help stock you up in the diaper department once I get that party invite :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig's List! Well, maybe not for car seats. We did the car seat for 5 to 22 lbs then the one for 22 to 100 lbs. So we can at least avoid buying 3 different ones! Yeah, no one warns you about all the different choices with baby stuff. It is insane and ridiculously expensive!
    rachael

    ReplyDelete
  3. great idea Rachael! I think we may browse some consignment stores this weekend to get an idea of what is out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not going to fall over! I have a coworker who is like 6 months pregnant with twins and she has not fallen over yet (although it looks like she could at any minute!) She's just as athletic as you, so those good strong legs muscles will keep you from falling. :) I hear consignment stores are great. And non-sketchy yard sales. But who knows how to find those?! Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maternity clothes shopping sounds hilarious. I can't wait for you to get elastic waistband pants!

    -Brennan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have bought and worn some elastic waste band pants! No one can tell!! I'm not showing just bloated and my elastic waste band jeans are fabulous!! I will wear them the next time we all get together Brennan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dena, I feel your pain with the bloating. I'm afraid people are going to catch on that something is up before I'm ready to spill the news. Oh... and I did look at Marshall's for maternity clothes...no such luck. All they have are plus size... and I'm not too thrilled with that. I want to accentuate the belly-- not put a tarp over it. I'm glad you are ahead of me... I'm learning from you!

    Good luck with everything. I haven't read your other blogs yet, so, I'm hoping the bloating is ceasing with you.

    ReplyDelete